Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

___________________________________________

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

I Hate Cancer!

I tell my kids all the time not to say hate because it is such a strong word.  However, there really are no other words that can express my feelings for this disease.  I have known so many people who have battled cancer and some were fortunate to win the battle while others were not!
Our family is waging it's own war on this enemy and I am tired of it!  16 years ago my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer.  She endured surgery and treatment and we thought all was fine.  We knew that at the 5 year mark, if it did not appear again, she could officially be labeled cancer free.  Low and behold, 4 years after finishing her first treatment, they found cancer on her bone.  That was 2002.  My mom has been battling ever since.  She has endured chemo for ten consistent years, had bouts of radiation, and countless tests, hospital visits, MRIs, and CT Scans. 
Every six months they run extensive tests to make sure there is no sign of cancer anywhere else in her body.  For ten years we have heard good news.  She is a fighter.  Last month, however, we received the dreaded news....it had spread to her liver.  And if that weren't bad enough, we found out yesterday that it is now on her lungs. 
I am sad.  I am mad.  And I am in awe of this amazing woman who keeps fighting!  God has used her in amazing ways.  Even though I don't understand why He would choose to plague my mom with such a painful and hard battle, I know He has a plan. 
When she found out that her cancer had spread ten years ago, at that point she had only two grandkids.  She told my dad that she had asked God to grant her the opportunity to meet all her grandkids before it was time for her to go home.  Well, I think I can confidently say that they are all here except for one and I can't wait for Robel to meet her.  Of course, as with all the other kids, he is going to be (Abby says he already is) spoiled beyond belief. 
We all love her more than words can say and I just hope and pray that we get to spend many more years with her.  I know that through God, all things are possible!  I am just honored to say that this amazing, courageous, tough woman is my mama!!!



2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about the years of cancer your mom has been dealing with. She sounds like such a strong faithful woman. I pray that you can get that sweet little boy home soon to give lots of hugs to his grandma. Praying for your mom to have strength and healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for your beautiful mom. Give her a hug for me.

    ReplyDelete