Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

___________________________________________

Monday, January 23, 2012

Ethiopia - Part 2

Today was the day we had been waiting for.  It had taken 23 months to get to this point.  I think I was kind of in denial that we were here and about to go meet our son for the first time.  After a great cup of coffee (those traveling for the 1st time may want to take powdered creamer...it was a life saver for me) and a little breakfast (I was slightly nauseous due to nerves and I think the altitude) we met our driver and we were off. 

Bob had packed 3 cameras...CRAZY and we were all giddy, to say the least!  When we arrived, all the kids from his room were playing outside.  Unfortunately, I did not see him right away as he was tucked behind a couple care-givers.  But when I saw him, I knew instantly that he was ours.  So not to spook him, we slowly knelt beside him and talked with him.  Eventually I stood up and held out my arms to hold him and he came right to me.  That was the best feeling ever.  I had prepared myself for him to be terrified of us and nothing like that happened at all.  He was pretty serious for awhile but eventually he warmed right up to us.

I did break the rules...sorry Gladney...but I took a ball thinking it might help break the ice.  Now I see why they say don't bring gifts and toys.  Once I pulled the ball out, I was a little afraid that there would be wars waged over that little toy.  Fortunately, we were able to distract some of the kids and I never saw that toy again.  I am hoping it found a good home!!!

We were able to spend the most amazing hour of the day loving on our little man and playing with some of the cutest little kids.  But our day had so much more in store.  So, we left the foster care center and headed to Kolfe which is the government boy's orphanage.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but let's just say that we truly had a great time with these boys.  They were so sweet, kind, happy, and fun.  They loved their pictures taken and wanted to see themselves on the screen.  

The boys were actually preparing for a celebration the next day to celebrate the Ethiopian Christmas (Genna).  So there was lots of music playing.  I attempted to dance with the boys.  We will not be posting that video.  I thought I had rythym until I saw myself.  Not so much.  But we did have fun!

After the visit and a quick lunch, we headed to the government orphange that houses kids 0-8.  This was such a hard place to see.  We saw little kids running around and were able to tour the baby wing.  My heart broke for this tiny little babies in cribs laying silent or wimpering.  I held as many as I could, but once I picked one up, I would see another that needed a little affection.  I would lay that one down and they would immediately start crying.  Those poor workers.  I was causing quite a ruckus.  But all I could think was that they all needed to human contact. 

After that visit, we were all exhausted and emotionally spent.  It was time to head back to the guesthouse.  I can honestly say that there are images and faces that will stay with me forever.  I wish we could just gather all those babies up and bring them home.  We would be crammed in here like sardines, but oh how I wish they all had homes and moms and dads to love on them! 

1 comment:

  1. Your beautiful baby boy will be home soon!I love you, all FIVE of you.

    ReplyDelete